This blog is, first and foremost, a community, a safe place for writers of all backgrounds and walks of life to gather and share in their passion without fear of scrutiny or aggression. As such, we must agree to respect each other and other users’ opinions. Debate and discussion are highly encouraged and everyone has the right to free speech on this blog. Nevertheless, the following rules for commenting must be implemented in order to ensure that this platform remains a safe and pleasant community:
1) Limit use of profanity. Everyone slips into profanity now and then, whether out of anger or in jest, and so comments with such words or phrases will not always be rejected out-of-hand. However, these comments will not be posted for the general public to read until a blog moderator has reviewed the use of profanity. In addition to the words or phrases themselves, most asterisked-censored versions will also be monitored. If the profanity is not considered too inappropriate for younger audiences (children can reach this site so please keep this in mind while you are commenting), the comment will be posted but may still be removed should we receive complaints from other users. Some profanity, particularly that connected with abuse and bigotry, will automatically be deleted by the blog’s filter.
If you have any questions as to what is considered profanity and/or what will be monitored or deleted, please send your queries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Do not post inappropriate content. As mentioned above, children will have the ability to access this blog. For this reason, we implore you to avoid posting anything of an inappropriate nature, including, but not limited to, nudity, sexual content, and excessive violence. This rule applies to text, audio, and images posted.
Moderators will be watching the comment section for any content of this nature. If they should find such content or we receive complaints, the posts will be reviewed and may be subject to removal. The first two violations of this rule will lead to warnings sent to the user via email; a third violation will warrant a one-week suspension from the comments section of the blog; a fourth violation of this rule will cause the user to be banned from the comments section permanently. This decision will be final as it will be clear at this point that the user is not willing to abide by the rules set for this community.
However, if you believe that you have been wrongly accused of inappropriate posting, feel free to email us with your argument and we will do our best to come to a resolution that will please everyone involved.
Again, please direct any questions about what is deemed inappropriate content and the subsequent punishments to email@example.com
3) Do not reproduce work that you do not own without permission and/or due credit. This includes, but is not limited to, photographs, graphics, audio, text, etc. As writers, we take copyright very seriously and will not allow it to be infringed. Please, give credit for the author/creator/owner of anything you post on here that is not your own, preferably the name of the author/creator/owner, the name of the original source in which it appears, and a link to the original source if available. Furthermore, if the original source says that you may not copy this content without permission, get permission from the author/creator/owner before posting it here. Should there be any reason for us to suspect that you have not obtained such permission and/or are not giving credit for content that is not yours, we will launch an investigation that may lead to disciplinary action if we find you guilty of copyright infringement.
If we find a user guilty of copyright infringement, that user may be banned from the comments section. The first and second infractions, if they are minor, will lead to a one-week suspension. The third infraction will result in the user being banned as they clearly are not willing to follow the rules of this community. Any severe copyright infringement, even if it is the first infraction, will lead to the user being banned. We will notify the author/creator/owner of the original source of the copyright infringement and will cooperate with them if they wish to take legal action against the user.
We do not wish for this blog or any of the users to get into trouble for copyright infringement. In the electronic age, intellectual property is a very grey area, but we would rather err on the side of caution to avoid any legal issues.
4) Do not reproduce content from this blog elsewhere without permission and due credit. We appreciate and encourage users posting links to or quote this blog on their own blogs, social media, etc. That being said, users must give us credit for this content just as we will give credit for content that we post here from other sources.
If you wish to post some of our content on your blog, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org beforehand so that we may review your blog and determine if we want our blog to be associated with the content of your blog. If we approve the request, you will need to give us credit by providing the name of the blog, the name of the content author, and a link to the original blog post.
If you wish to post some of our content on your social media feed, all that we ask is that you give us credit in the same manner as you would if you were posting on your blog (blog name, author name, and link to original blog post).
In the case that we learn someone has posted our content without permission and/or due credit, we will act against that individual(s). We will first contact the individual(s) involved and give them an opportunity to explain their actions. If we are not satisfied that no malice was meant, we will take appropriate legal action against the individual(s).
5) Respect your fellow community members. The staff of this blog will not allow for bullying or “trolling” of any kind toward the community members. Moderators will be watching the comments sections closely for any signs of slander, verbal abuse, and purposefully misleading content, among other signs of bullying and trolling. By “purposefully misleading content,” we mean links, photographs, files, etc. which lead to computer viruses, Internet scams, or any other type of spam which will cause members emotional, mental, electronic, or financial distress.
Should we learn that an user is bullying/trolling another user or staff member, that user will be put through disciplinary action. Depending on the severity and number of bullying/trolling infractions, the user is subject to anything from a one-week suspension to being permanently banned from the comments section. Anything which involves demeaning anyone’s race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexuality, sexual identity, or religion or using terms related to race, ethnicity, nationality, gender, sexuality, sexual identity, or religion in order to demean an user or staff member will result in the offending user being banned from the comments section permanently. All other kinds of infractions will be judged on a case-by-case basis but will most typically lead to a one-week suspension for a first or second offense and a permanent ban for a third offense.
If you believe that you have been wrongly accused of bullying/trolling, please email us at email@example.com with your side of the story and we will try and resolve the matter peacefully. If you find yourself the victim of bullying/trolling on this blog and a moderator has not already intervened, we urge you to immediately contact us at the same email address listed above. We do not want anyone to suffer unnecessarily and we will do everything it takes to keep this blog a safe and secure platform for everyone.
If you have any questions about these rules, suggestions for how we can improve them, or wish to report someone violating these rules, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org